[Ads-l] A newish construction and a newish euphemism

Thu Apr 4 21:47:28 UTC 2019

Andy Bach wrote:
> [Begin excerpt]
> Father will be glad when he has finished working his son's way through
> college.
> [End excerpt]
>
> Assuming that's working to pay for his son's way through school, yet
> another sense would be my relief when I was done (home)working my son's way
> through high school.  He disliked homework.

There seems to be some ambiguity about the help provided by the
father: financial and/or intellectual. Here is a match in 1911 using
"worked".

Date: December 28, 1911
Newspaper: The Waterloo Press
Newspaper Location: Waterloo, Indiana
Quote Page 4, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Many autobiographies of future great statesmen will read, "his father
worked his son's way through college."
[End excerpt]

Several publications acknowledge "Harper's Weekly" for the joke. This
version uses "working".