[Ads-l] Quote: A gentleman is a man who can play a cornet but won't. (1917)

Sun Apr 21 11:58:44 UTC 2019

The quotation in the subject line is a member of a family of quips
that was mentioned at the Freakonomics website back in 2011. I began
to explore the topic back in that year. Barry created an entry in
2013, and I posted some new results on this mailing list in 2014. Now
there is a QI entry.

My Idea of a Gentleman Is He Who Can Play a Cornet and Won’t
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/04/21/cornet/

[Begin excerpt]
Great thanks to Kate Styrsky, Bill Mullins, and Marian T. Wirth whose
inquiries led QI to formulate this question and perform this
exploration. Styrsky discussed the topic back in April 2011 on the
Freakonomics website. Mullins was inspired to ask QI when he
encountered a variant joke about card tricks that was mentioned in a
forum discussing magic. Wirth tweeted about the topic and mentioned
the ukulele variant. Special thanks to Barry Popik who also explored
this topic and found valuable citations.
[End excerpt]

Feedback welcome,
Garson