[Ads-l] "dancing fool" 'a fool for dancing'

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 27 02:27:24 UTC 2019

Thanks for the tip, JL. Green's Dictionary of Slang also has this sense for
"fool": "anyone excessively enthusiastic about a given activity or topic;
thus _dancing fool_, _singing fool_; often found as _a fool for..._"
Earliest cite is from 1887 (Overland Monthly, "That air that fiddlin’ fool,
Pete Dobine").

https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/hcio6by