[Ads-l] "dancing fool" 'a fool for dancing'

Sat Apr 27 02:52:26 UTC 2019

Ben just posted the GDOS information I was planning to post, but this
message still contains some interesting citations, I think.

The Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang (HDAS)
mentioned "dancing fool" in a 1953 citation.

[Begin excerpt]
fool n. a person who is excessively dedicated to a given
activity.—usu. constr. with prec. ppl.
[1875 in DAE: A Fool for Luck.] 1913-1915 Van Loan Taking the Count
176: He's the fightin'est little fool 'at ever pulled on a glove.
. . .
1953 I Love Lucy (CBS-TV): I'm a dancing fool!
[End excerpt]

Green’s Dictionary of Slang (GDOS) mentioned "dancing fool" in the
description of sense number 3 for "fool", but none of the citations
mentioned "dancing".

https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/hcio6by

[Begin excerpt]
fool n.
3. anyone excessively enthusiastic about a given activity or topic;
thus dancing fool, singing fool; often found as a fool for...
1887 [US]   in Overland Monthly (CA) July 66: That air that fiddlin’
fool, Pete Dobine.
[End excerpt]

GDOS sense 3 also mentioned the template "a fool for …", e.g., "a fool
for dancing". The first HDAS citation also followed this template: "A
Fool for Luck."

The 1877 citation I present further below  included the phrase "a fool
for dancing". Here is an 1854 citation presenting a pertinent Spanish
proverb that provides background information for the 1877 citation.

Year: 1854
Periodical: Bentley's Miscellany
Volume: 35
Article: Random Recollections of Campaigns Under the Duke of Wellington
Start Page 170, Quote Page 181
Publisher: Richard Bentley, London
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=5xdLAQAAMAAJ&q=tonto#v=snippet&q=tonto&f=false

[Begin excerpt]
In all characters that a Frenchman may be called upon to enact, he is
always proverbially insinuating, gay, and agreeable; and the Spanish
women, if there be truth in our experience, seemed well disposed to
act up to their national proverb, of--

"Todo el mundo es un bolero,
El que no baila es un tonto."*

. . .
* All the world is a ball, and he is a fool who does not dance.
[End excerpt]

Year: 1877
Periodical: Celebrities I Have Known