[Ads-l] "dancing fool" 'a fool for dancing'

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sun Apr 28 04:47:35 UTC 2019

Many thanks to all those on this list who provided material on this subject, but especially Garson O'Toole and Ben Zimmer. I've re-worked some of the material and folded it into one section of this (long and complex) posting on my blog:

4/27/19: A standout in his shorts:

https://arnoldzwicky.org/2019/04/27/a-standout-in-his-shorts/

(warning: heavy with very plain language about men's bodies and mansex)

There are some topics in there that would surely repay further study: the "V-ing FOOL" pattern and the "fool for N" pattern, in particular.  (and some of this should get worked into revisions of the OED's "fool" entry.)

arnold