[Ads-l] statistics, "no substitute for judgement"--Henry Clay Sr.?

Fri Aug 2 04:01:01 UTC 2019

A newspaper in Staffordshire, England reported in October 1930 on a
speech by economist Henry Clay during which he employed the quotation.

[ref] 1930 October 13, Evening Sentinel (Staffordshire Sentinel),
Production Prices and Depression: Professor Clay on the Trade Outlook,
Quote Page 5, Column 5, Staffordshire, England. (British Newspaper
Archive) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Professor Henry Clay, the distinguished
economist, who is an honorary member of the
National Council of the Pottery Industry,
addressed the Northern Council Conference on
the Incorporated Association of Retail
Distributors at Scarborough on Saturday.
. . .

COMPARING RESULTS.
The only way (Professor Clay declared) in
which we can measure the results of our own
efforts and those due to external influences
is by comparing one's results with the results
in industry as a whole. Indexes should provide
a rough standard of achievement by which
individual firms can assess their performances.
The difference between a successful and an
unsuccessful business man lies often in the
greater accuracy of the former's guesses.
Statistics are no substitution for judgment.
Their use is to check and discipline the
judgments on which in the last resort business
decisions depend.
[End excerpt]

The quotation was extracted from the speech and appeared in "The
Ottawa Citizen" in November 1930.

[ref] 1930 November 13, The Ottawa Citizen, Press Paragraphs, Quote
Page 26, Column 3, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
STATISTICS NO SUBSTITUTE
Statistics are no substitute for judgment.
--Henry Clay of the Bank of England.
[End excerpt]

Garson