[Ads-l] Youneverknow.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 2 06:20:31 UTC 2019

> I poked around and some dictionaries give the literal meaning of meal
> ticket along with the nonliteral meanings (dictionary.com and Macmillan),
> and some don't (Oxford and Merriam-Webster).

That may be so. But _my_ claim is only that _I_ didn't know that
"meal-ticket" occurred outside of such expressions as, e.g. "He used her as
his meal-ticket." Since the metaphorical meaning of _meal-ticket_ in such
expressions is clear, I've never been motivated to research whether there
was a literal meaning available.

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 5:56 AM David Daniel <dad at coarsecourses.com> wrote:

> Odd. I poked around and some dictionaries give the literal meaning of meal
> ticket along with the nonliteral meanings (dictionary.com and Macmillan),
> and some don't (Oxford and Merriam-Webster). If anyone is interested: Here
> in Brazil, virtually every employer gives virtually every employee a meal
> ticket to use to pay for lunch. These days, the meal tickets are mostly
> pre-paid debit cards provided by various companies, the worldwide
> food-service company Sodexo being one. The tickets are known by various
> names, the most common being "vale alimentação" - food voucher - and
> "ticket
> refeição" - literally, meal ticket. Restaurants in commercial areas are all
> packed at lunchtime with folks using their meal tickets, which is good for
> everybody.
> DAD

-Wilson
-----