[Ads-l] "Official Ephus" and eephus?

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 16 18:58:21 UTC 2019

Just a guess but WikiP says (as, oddly, a number of "spam" guard texts):
Although the origin is not known for certain, "Eephus" may come from the
Hebrew <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_language> word אפס
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%A1> (pronounced *EF-əs*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Pronunciation_respelling_key>), meaning
"nothing <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing>".[3]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eephus_pitch#cite_note-somethingpitch-3>

That reference page
https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=eephus/080715

has (along with even more interesting info on Sewell):
One theory on the origin of Van Robays' nonsense word ties it to the Hebrew
language, which does not have a numerical symbol for zero but does have a
word for the concept: efes, which can also mean "nothing." Also consider
the lexicon of tarot cards, where The Fool card is often numbered zero.

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk