[Ads-l] "Official Ephus" and eephus?

Mon Dec 16 19:13:07 UTC 2019

Mark Mandel (MAM) wrote:

> So according to this, it was Sewell's pitch but Van Robays's word, and the
> sense of what he said was not "*Eephus* means ‘nothing’", but rather "
> *Eephus* means nothing" [= is meaningless].

Thanks for your response, MAM.
The explanation in 'The Baseball Dictionary" is compatible with the
2004 and 2015 citations.

When I read the tale about Maurice Van Robays's comment and saw the
newspaper citations I concluded that the baseball journalists were
interpreting Robays's comment as wordplay. Both contextual senses of
nothing were understood. Robays may have been unaware of his own
wordplay.

Garson