[Ads-l] Earliest Use of "Cook the Books"

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 4 06:46:29 UTC 2019

And, just to make the obvious explicit: Once this sense was established and
a firm's accounts were called its "books" (how old is *that* usage, btw?),
the rhyme made this idiom inevitable.

Mark Mandel