[Ads-l] Earliest Use of "Cook the Books"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 4 08:11:22 UTC 2019

"Cook up" is applied to "books" in this 1853 example:

----
Liverpool Mercury, Sep. 30, 1853, p. 15, col. 4
With reference to the assistance of weighers and porters being required to
cook up the books, we bling the base assertion in their teeth; and beg to
whisper in their ears taht surely those who dwell in glass houses should
not be the first to cast stones, therefore the less they say about "cooking
up" books, &c., the better.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28013086/cook_up_books/
----

This refers to a claim made in an earlier article in the same newspaper
(with "accounts" instead of "books"):

----
Liverpool Mercury, Sep. 23, 1853, p. 12, col. 4
Were it not for the assistance rendered those men by the weighers and
porters on the quays in instructing them, and the way in which their
accounts have been "cooked" up, the business of those docks in which the
thing is in operation would have been brought to a complete standstill.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28013081/cook_up_accounts/
----

The earliest examples I've found for "cook (the) books" without the "up"
come from 1857:

----
The Standard (London), Jan. 10, 1857, p. 4, col. 5
As I am ignorant of the facts discovered against the assistant clerk, save
as to his cooking certain books and his dealing with the guardians' cheques
during the past nine months, i.e., subsequent to my last audit account to
Lady-day, 1856, to which date alone have I seen the union accounts, I do
not see that at present at least I am called upon for any observation on
that part of the case.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28013203/cook_the_books/
----
The Morning Post (London), May 21, 1857, p. 2, col. 5
A second letter from this person appears in last night's papers. It is
intended as a reply to the charge of "cooking the books," preferred against
James Sadleir by the Master of the Rolls... James Sadleir denies that he
acted as his brother John wished, and maintains that he did not alter "one
figure" in the accounts.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/28013171/cook_the_books/
----