[Ads-l] Earliest Use of "Cook the Books"

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 4 18:39:48 UTC 2019

> ". . . to cook the books, d. i. die Buecher falsch fuehren . . . ."

Interesting, perhaps, that Google translate lists "to lead" as the first
def of "fuehren"
https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=en&text=fuehren

so "to mislead the books". None of the synonyms offered are "to cook" nor
have the sort of "get your fingers involved in the making of" that cooking
implies (to me). So, a different idiom in German?  There is "to have a
record of"

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell