[Ads-l] Coinage of "Cryptocurrency" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Mon Feb 4 23:04:28 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:35 AM MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM
AMRDEC (USA) <0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu> wrote:

> CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED
>

> cryptocurrency
>
> Melbourne, Victoria, Australia _The Age_ 4 Nov 1990 Money section p 5
> "ECU (European Currency Unit): A crypto-currency based on a basket of
> Eurocurrencies loosely weighted on the relative strength of each EC
> economy. . . The ECU is not actually a physical currency in that it is not
> represented by notes or coins."

Yeah, but that wasn't the current sense at all. The ECU was the predecessor
of the Euro until its actual introduction. Until if I remember correctly
2002, it was a currency that existed virtually, according to a treaty
between central banks, but not in the form of circulating notes and coins.
The Age calls this "crypto-currency". Nothing to do with cryptography.

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu