[Ads-l] Coinage of "Cryptocurrency" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 5 01:49:49 UTC 2019

Yes, and the name ECU was dropped, as I recall reading around that time,
because of its association with one European country's currency: its
similarity to "écu", which iirc had been considered as a reason *for*
calling it that.

<https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ecu>

*ecu* noun (1)
\ ˈā-ˌkyü, ā-ˈkᵫ\
plural ecus\ ˈä-​ˌkyüz, ā-​ˈkᵫz \

*Definition of ecu*

 (Entry 1 of 2)
: any of various old French units of value also : a coin representing an ecu

*ecu* noun (2), often capitalized E&C&U
\ ˌē-(ˌ)sē-ˈyü\

*Definition of ecu* (Entry 2 of 2)
: a money of account based on the currency units of members of the European
Union from 1979 up to the introduction of the euro in 1999

*First Known Use of ecu*

Noun (1)
circa 1593, in the meaning defined above

Noun (2)
1970, in the meaning defined above

*History and Etymology for ecu*

Noun (1)
Middle French, literally, shield, from Old French *escu*, from Latin
*scutum*; from the device of a shield on the coin — more at *esquire*

Noun (2)
European Currency Unit (influenced by French *écu* ecu)

© 2019 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated