[Ads-l] the eradication of hw

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 5 20:40:53 UTC 2019

Although I still meet people of various ages who have the /hw/ sound, I never had it, but I was surprised to hear a person not using /hw/ in the name Huawei. It might have been the first time I’d ever heard the name pronounced.

Although most people probably imitate others, this points to a complete eradication of the /hw/ sound in people’s phonemic inventories.

Tom Cotton (about 0:17), posted 13 Feb 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=j1-defKFUGU <https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=j1-defKFUGU>

Best Huawei Phones in 2018 - Which Is The Best Huawei Smartphone?
by 10BestOnes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5krLykrpO9c <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5krLykrpO9c>

with /hw/
Best Huawei phones you can buy right now
by Android Authority
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6a6YiN3APg <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6a6YiN3APg>

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA