[Ads-l] More future ancestors

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 10 16:26:24 UTC 2019

This one struck me because it was in what appears otherwise to be a carefully edited British mystery novel and somehow wasn’t caught.  The character speaking is supposed to be well-educated and very intelligent (or, as the Brits say, clever), an author of several well-received books, so I’m pretty sure this was not intended to be a malapropism, and there’s no time travel involved. So, it seems, a mere garden-variety SOTA.

He passes her tea and smiles. “Strange”, he says, “to think that one day our ancestors might be charmed by a Barratt estate, desperately trying to preserve the period features. Don’t touch that plastic coving, it’s priceless.”
—Lisa Jewell, Then She Was Gone
https://tinyurl.com/y239u2sn