[Ads-l] _sandwich =?utf-8?Q?=C3=A0_?=la Colette_ a method of sexual intercourse

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Feb 26 00:53:59 UTC 2019

some glitch at Stanford prevented me from posting to ADS-L over the last day (it's now fixed), so i'm waay behind on what i have to say on this topic.  this will be brief, and then i'll post on my blog.

> On Feb 24, 2019, at 11:51 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> without Colette
>
> Close, but no cigar: "sandwich" can't be mapped one-to-one and onto to
> "sandwich à la Colette." Indeed, simple "sandwich" is hardly worthy of
> notice, IMO. It's just, well, ordinary and obvious, wouldn't you agree?

no, absolutely not. the definition you cited for "sandwich a la Colette" (sorry, i can't do diacritics) is *exactly* the definition of "sandwich" in "make a sandwich" in GDoS.  (and also the definition for "fuck sandwich" as used by some speakers -- well attested).  we're dealing with synonyms here, in fact of a specific type: the "a la Colette" functions as a _disambiguator_, much like "ha ha" and "peculiar" in "did you mean funny ha-ha or funny peculiar?".  "sandwich a la Colette" conveys that the speaker isn't talking about food.

expressions with these conventionalized disambiguators do of course deserve listing in a dictionary, and it's worth pointing out the particular cases to lexicographers ("sandwich a la Colette" isn't in GDoS or the OED; "fuck sandwich" isn't in either of them, or even in Sheidlower's "FWord", and those are genuine lacunas).  but the double-fuck sense of "sandwich" is certainly in GDoS.

(meanwhile, "double-fuck" used for exactly the act we've been talking about is in Sheidlower, but not in GDoS or the OED.)

there's a great deal more here, but that's for a blog posting.