[Ads-l] Antedating "Chestnut" - an old joke or story

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 10 16:52:02 UTC 2019

> Title: The Broken Sword: A Grand Melo-Drama Interspersed with Songs,
Chorusses, &c.

So, is "melo-drama" an early version of things like "rom-com"?  I found
"Obi A Melo-Drama in Two Acts", a "slave play" from 1800ish
On May 21, 1801, less than a year after its opening at the Haymarket, New
York's Park Theatre staged the first American performance of Fawcett's
serio-pantomime *Obi*.

and "The Warlock of the Glen. A Melo-Drama, in two acts"
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007708084

the 1800 version has the dash, later editions(?) seem to have dropped it.

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk