[Ads-l] Antedating "Chestnut" - an old joke or story

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 10 18:13:22 UTC 2019

> On Jan 10, 2019, at 11:52 AM, Andy Bach <afbach at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>> Title: The Broken Sword: A Grand Melo-Drama Interspersed with Songs,
> Chorusses, &c.
>
> So, is "melo-drama" an early version of things like "rom-com”?

Very early, it would have to be, in the original Greco-French, given how opaque “melo-“ (‘music(al)’; cf. “melody") is in English.  Plus “melodrama” has long since lost its association with music.  It’s hard to know whether Obi below would have been understood to (necessarily) be a musical drama rather than merely a “romantic” and “sensational” one, in the OED’s words.  The other blends are far more transparent than “melo(-)drama", although as you suggest maybe that wouldn’t have been the case in the early 1800s.

LH