[Ads-l] noggin

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 10 07:54:13 UTC 2019

> “noggin” (meaning “head”)

In an episode of _Hop Harrigan_, During the War, Hop taught "noggin" as the
English word for "head" to Sing-Song - she had a problem with the
sound-pattern of English and her native name was, as usual, just random
noise - the native girl. Some years later, I was astonished to learn that
"noggin"is a real English word that really does mean "head."

Youneverknow.

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 1:03 AM Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The Blarney Lads have a recording of “All for Me Grog” (
> http://pakvim.net/watch/HgpcNpOlxJA <http://pakvim.net/watch/HgpcNpOlxJA>),
> whose lyrics include what appears to be the adjective “noggin”.
>
> ****
> Where are me boots, me noggin, noggin boots
> they're all gone for beer and tobacco
> For the heels they are worn out and the toes are kicked about
> And the soles are looking for better weather
>

> Where is me shirt me noggin, noggin shirt
> It's all gone for beer and tobacco
> For the collar is all worn and the sleeves they are all torn
> And the tail is looking for better weather
>
> ####
> ####
>
> I’m not sure what “gone for” means. Has the singer worn them out due to
> beer and tobacco or has the singer sold them for beer and tobacco?
>
> The OED defines “noggin” as a small drinking vessel. I suppose “noggin
> boots” could be “drinking boots”. Just listening to the song, I thought
> “noggin" meant either “fucking” or “awesome”.
>
> This same song appears in Shakespeare, issue 65, spring 2017, p. 19 (
> https://tinyurl.com/y3xl3b7c <https://tinyurl.com/y3xl3b7c>), which says
> it’s based on the 1956 recording by Al Lloyd.
>
> There are a couple of instances on the internet of “noggin” (meaning
> “head”) being spelled as “naggin” and a citation that appears to be
> unrelated at
> https://www.jstor.org/stable/25473871?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents <
> https://www.jstor.org/stable/25473871?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents>, but
> I couldn’t find the meaning for the song above.
>
> Benjamin Barrett
> Formerly of Seattle, WA

-Wilson
-----