[Ads-l] noggin

Brett Bydairk time-ghost at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 10 19:47:02 UTC 2019

When I learned this song 45+ Years ago, these were the lyrics I learned:

CH: Oh, where is me grog, me jolly, jolly grog,
All for me beer and tobacco!
Oh, I spent all me tin on the lassies drinkin' gin,
And across the western ocean I must wander.

Where are me shoes, me jolly, jolly shoes,
All for me beer and tobacco!
Oh, the soles are all wore out, and the tops are knocked about,
And me feet are lookin' out for better weather!

>From there, the verses proceed up the body -
Where are me pants
Where is me shirt
Where is me hat

And ends with
Where is me bed, me jolly, jolly bed
All for me beer and tobacco!
Oh, I lent it to a whore, and the sheets they are all tore,
And the springs are lookin' out for better weather!

As you see, the words 'noggin, noggin' are replaced with the words 'jolly, jolly', and the word 'gone' is, um, gone.
Due to the folk process, there is probably no way to tell which set of words came first.

Brett