[Ads-l] bite at the apple

Tue Jul 23 03:03:05 UTC 2019

Here is a description of a game presented in a magazine for children
in 1880 in which a partially restrained participant attempts to bite
an apple. Bobbing for apples is another game that involves attempting
to bite apples. Yet, bobbing for apples typically involves many
apples.

I am posting this to provide background and one possible explanation
for the figurative language.

Periodical: St. Nicholas: For Girls and Boys
Date: June 1880
Section: The Letter-Box
Quote Page 678
Publisher: Scribner & Company, New York

[Begin excerpt]
Dear St. Nicholas: I have an amusing game for rainy days, called Apple
Dumplings. Take a stout cord; stretch it from one side of the room to
the other, tying it so that it will not come loose. It has to be about
an arm's length above your head. Take a large apple; punch a hole
through it, so that it will not be too large for a string to be put
through; tie a small piece of wood to the end that is through the
apple, so that the string will not come out; then tie the other end to
the cord, so that the apple will hang even with your mouth. Ask some
one to tie your hands behind you, and then try to bite the apple. This
was tried at the Opera House. A dollar was offered to the one that
first should bite the apple. G. H.
[End excerpt]

Garson