[Ads-l] bite at the apple

Tue Jul 23 03:31:30 UTC 2019

Date: September 24, 1885
Newspaper: The Altoona Times
Newspaper Location: Altoona, Pennsylvania
Article: Pennsylvania Aid To Mahone
Quote Page 2, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Now Blaine wants to break up the solid South and capture it if he can,
and that is why he is helping his old opponents."
This was indeed awful to think of.
"Is Blaine trying to engineer things so he can get another bite at the
apple?" was asked of one of the most prominent Blaine men in the city.
"No; of course not!" was the answer in a tone of disgusted surprise.
[End excerpt]

James G. Blaine was a failed candidate for U.S. President in 1884. I
admit that I have not read the article carefully enough to be sure
that "Blaine" in the article refers to James G. Blaine.

Garson