[Ads-l] Negging

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 6 19:31:14 UTC 2019

> On Mar 6, 2019, at 1:42 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Just came across this word. Don't remember seeing it.
>
> Wikipedia says: Negging is an act of emotional manipulation whereby a
> person makes a deliberate backhanded compliment or otherwise
> flirtatious remark to another person to undermine their confidence and
> increase their need of the manipulator's approval.[1] The term was
> coined and prescribed by the pickup artist community,[1] several of
> whose members have proposed it as an effective method to build
> attraction.[2]
>
> DanG

And here I didn’t even know there was a “pickup artist community”.  I am vaguely familiar with negging in one context or another, but I’m not sure where I’ve heard it.  I have used the terms “neggers” for a couple of decades now, but it refers to linguists who work on negation, which is somewhat different from this use of “negging” among the pickup artist community of practice.

LH