[Ads-l] RES: Big Easy, Frisco, etc.

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Thu Mar 7 16:26:41 UTC 2019

I don't know if this has already been mentioned. If so, sorry. San
Franciscans call the city "the City." Where do you live? The City. Where do
you work? The City. Etc. And this annoys the hell out of people from
surrounding cities. Like, if you're in San José and you tell someone you
live in the City, they will inevitably ask, "Which city?" in a sarcastic
tone, accompanied by pointed look.
DAD

-----Mensagem original-----
De: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Em nome de
Stephen Goranson
Enviada em: quinta-feira, 7 de março de 2019 12:09
Para: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Assunto: Re: Big Easy, Frisco, etc.

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Big Easy, Frisco, etc.
---

Perhaps calling Manhattan "the City" was influenced by London's City, the c=
entral, financial, historic district.

I was born in northern Surrey, but the place later was annexed by Greater L=
ondon.

SG