[Ads-l] Lewis Porter on the origins of "jazz"

Wed Mar 20 19:38:33 UTC 2019

Thanks for your response, JL. Congratulations on uncovering the book
with the 1918 citation. Also, thanks to Jonathon Green for providing
access to the full citation information via his website.

Here is some evidence connecting "jaser" (French) to copulation from a
French reference work in 1861 and a French-English reference work in
1896. Admittedly, sometimes reference works about slang will copy
information from previous reference works even when the information is
not well supported. I am simply presenting details for citations and
happily defer to you, Gerald Cohen, Jonathon Green, and other experts.

After the citations  I present Green's note on the topic. His
bracketed 1896 citation points to Farmer's reference. Green candidly
states that "anglophone researchers have discounted any valid link".

Year: 1861
Book: Glossaire érotique de la langue française depuis son origine
jusqu'à nos jours
(Erotic glossary of the French language from its origin to the present day)
Compiler: Louis de Landes (Auguste Scheler)
Entry: Jaser, also Jazer
Quote Page 212
Publication: En Vente Chez Tous Les Librarires, Bruxelles
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=IQMtAAAAYAAJ&q=Jaser#v=snippet&q=Jaser&f=false

[Begin excerpt]
Jaser. — Employé dans un sens obscène pour faire l'acte vénérien.

Tu as les genoux chauds, tu veux jaser.
La Comédie des proverbes.

Jazer, voyez Jaser.
[End excerpt]

[Begin Google Translation]
Jaser. — Used in an obscene sense to do the venereal act.

You have warm knees, you want to talk.
The Comedy of Proverbs.

Jazer, see Jaser.
[End Google Translation]

Year: 1896
Book: Vocabula Amatoria: a French-English Glossary of Words, Phrases,
and Allusions
Compiler: John Stephen Farmer
Quote Page 162, Column 2
Publication: Privately Printed for Subscribers Only, London
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=bQnUAAAAMAAJ&q=jaser#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
JASER (or JAZER). To copulate; 'to chuck a tread'.

Tu as les genoux chauds, tu veux jaser.—La Comédie des proverbes.
[End excerpt]

Green's Dictionary of Slang
https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/bua6kui

[Begin excerpt]
jazz v.
[jazz n.; note Pierre Guiraud in his ‘Dictionnaire érotique’ (Paris
1978, 1984, 1993) has ‘jaser = coiter’ and gives as a quotation ‘Tu as
les genoux chauds, tu veux jaser’ (La Comedie des proverbes XVIe s.)
As his source he gives ‘Glossaire érotique de la langue francaise
depuis son origine jusqu’à nos jours’ by Louis de Landes, Bruxelles
1861; this cit. is used in Farmer Vocabula Amatoria (1896); however
anglophone researchers have discounted any valid link]

[1896   [UK]   Farmer Vocabula Amatoria (1966) 162: Jaser (or Jazer).
To copulate].
[End excerpt]

Garson