[Ads-l] WOTY candidate: "octochamp"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 31 16:16:45 UTC 2019

I just wrote about the octo(-)champs for The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/05/scripps-spelling-bee-wasnt-ready-octochamps/590749/

Before they were able to anoint themselves with the title, "Octochamps"
turned up in the Twitter feed of former Bee contestant Amber Born. She used
it at 11:21 p.m. Eastern time, right after it was announced that there
could be up to eight co-champions -- Born correctly predicted that they all
would win:

https://twitter.com/Amber_R_Born/status/1134298814620360704
"You’ve heard of Octomom, now get ready for Octochamps. #spellingbee"

--bgz