[Ads-l] banana (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Nov 1 18:13:21 UTC 2019

Mark Mandel wrote:

> Oddly enough, though I use "Roy G. Biv" now, I first learned the colors of
> the spectrum from my dad as VIBGYOR, pronounced "VIB-ghee-or" /'vɪb.gi.ɔr/.
> Maybe that's how they remembered it in the Army in WWII.

Ben Zimmer posted an article in 2009 about various mnemonics including
"Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain" for the colors of the visible
spectrum and "Mary's Violet Eyes Made John Stay Up Nights" for the
planets without the plutoid Pluto.

Mnemonics, from Roy G. Biv to Mary's Violet Eyes
https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/wordroutes/mnemonics-from-roy-g-biv-to-marys-violet-eyes/

Garson