[Ads-l] Antedating of "Cerebral Palsy"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 7 21:54:57 UTC 2019

Several earlier examples on HathiTrust, the earliest I saw was 1824,
which cites to a French journal from 1823.

Here are a few examples.

William F. Channing, Notes on the Medical Application of Electricity,
Third Edition, Boston, Daniel Davis, Jr., 1852.

"In a majority of cases of cerebral palsy, the contractility of the
paralyzed muscles is less than that of the muscles of the sound side, on
account of diminished nutrition."

John Malcolmson, A Practical Essay on the History & Treatment of
Beriberi, Madras, Vepery Mission Press, 1835, page 118.

"In two other instances, Mr. Wright fond slight serous effusion in the
spine.  A few cases occurred to him in which there were signs of
phrenitic inflammation, but the ordinary consequences of cerebral palsy,
such as impaired intellect or memory, were never observed; and the only
morbid appearances in the brain, consisted in engorgement and slight
serous effusion, which, as he found them, he considers to be uncertain
signs of morbid action."

The Medical Recorder, Volume 7, 1824, page 645.

"On the employment of Strychnia and Brucia in Palsy. [Journ. de
Physiologie, Juillet 1823. III. 266.] . . . They show unequivocally,
that neither can be used safely in cases of cerebral palsy, because, if
any organic change has been produced in the brain, they have a strong
tendency to excite inflammation of the surrounding parenchyma."