[Ads-l] Antedating of "Cerebral Palsy"

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 8 01:58:22 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:55 PM Peter Reitan <pjreitan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Several earlier examples on HathiTrust, the earliest I saw was 1824,
> which cites to a French journal from 1823.
>
> Here are a few examples.

> John Malcolmson, A Practical Essay on the History & Treatment of
> Beriberi, Madras, Vepery Mission Press, 1835, page 118.
>
> "In two other instances, Mr. Wright *fond* slight serous effusion in the
> spine.  A few cases occurred to him in which there were signs of
> phrenitic inflammation, but
> *the ordinary consequences of cerebral palsy, such as impaired intellect
> or memory,* were never observed; and the only
> morbid appearances in the brain, consisted in engorgement and slight
> serous effusion, which, as he found them, he considers to be uncertain
> signs of morbid action."

I assume "fond" is a typo for "found". More relevant, I was wondering
whether this mention referred to the same condition that is now called by
that name. I checked Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_palsy> and found probable
confirmation:

Other symptoms include seizures and *problems with thinking or reasoning,*