[Ads-l] "isolate" = "focus" (one's attention)

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 9 23:20:31 UTC 2019

*Wall Street Journal*, Saturday/Sunday, November 9-10, 2019, p. A11

 "A Football Saturday – and a Cultural Reckoning – in Mid-America"
(Near end, column 5 on page)

The game itself is less vivid than its trappings.  It's the Wildcats'
homecoming, but they can't muster much for the faithful. Iowa dominates
with the fans. I find myself isolating on their No. 9, safety Geno Stone,
whose smashing hits make me think that America may yet stave off decline.

Mark Mandel