[Ads-l] Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2019

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 14 18:44:27 UTC 2019

It's getting to be that time of year again.  In the next month and a half or so I have to finalize my list of the 10 most notable quotations of the year, disseminated by the Associated Press, and would welcome input.  The criteria are quotations that are famous, or important, or particularly revealing of the spirit of our times.  Invariably many of the quotes are political in nature, but I do very much want some nonpolitical quotes from fields such as popular culture, sports, business, science, etc.  I also would like to have some foolish quotes from Democrats to give the list some balance.

Below are some of the candidates that have been suggested to me.  Suggestions of additional quotations would be most welcome.  Note that quotes from December 2018 may be eligible.  Internet memes can be considered if they are very popular.

Fred Shapiro

I would like you to do us a favor though.
Donald Trump

We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.  And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.  How dare you!
Greta Thunberg

I have no obligation to be honest to the media because they're just as dishonest as anybody else.
Corey Lewandowski

Just marry one woman. ... If you can find one.
Elizabeth Warren, Response to hypothetical person believing marriage should be between one man and one woman

He [President Trump] is a racist, he is a con man, and he is a cheat.
Michael Cohen

I have the right to do whatever I want as president.
Donald Trump

No human being would want to live in Baltimore.
Donald Trump