[Ads-l] Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2019

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 14 19:13:53 UTC 2019

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden at the Iowa State Fair, August 8.
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 11:44:27 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2019

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>

It's getting to be that time of year again.  In the next month and a half o=
r so I have to finalize my list of the 10 most notable quotations of the ye=
ar, disseminated by the Associated Press, and would welcome input.  The cri=
teria are quotations that are famous, or important, or particularly reveali=
ng of the spirit of our times.  Invariably many of the quotes are political=
 in nature, but I do very much want some nonpolitical quotes from fields su=
ch as popular culture, sports, business, science, etc.  I also would like t=
o have some foolish quotes from Democrats to give the list some balance.

Below are some of the candidates that have been suggested to me.  Suggestio=
ns of additional quotations would be most welcome.  Note that quotes from D=
ecember 2018 may be eligible.  Internet memes can be considered if they are=
 very popular.

Fred Shapiro

I would like you to do us a favor though.
Donald Trump

We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.  And all you can talk about i=
s money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.  How dare you!
Greta Thunberg

I have no obligation to be honest to the media because they're just as dish=
onest as anybody else.
Corey Lewandowski

Just marry one woman. ... If you can find one.
Elizabeth Warren, Response to hypothetical person believing marriage should=
 be between one man and one woman

He [President Trump] is a racist, he is a con man, and he is a cheat.
Michael Cohen

I have the right to do whatever I want as president.
Donald Trump

No human being would want to live in Baltimore.
Donald Trump