[Ads-l] cal-ving

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 15 00:42:46 UTC 2019

I think you can see cal-ving from some sal-mon boats in Alaska.
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 4:58:29 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: cal-ving

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM>

It could be simply spelling pronunciation where the reporter thought =
that =E2=80=9Ccalve=E2=80=9D was a geological term unrelated to cows and =
legs. The -ing form lends itself to a reanalysis. BB

> On 14 Sep 2019, at 12:45, Stanton McCandlish <smccandlish at GMAIL.COM> =
wrote:
>=20
> Right, some of them push non-initial *l* sounds toward *w*, or merged =
into
> the vowel: "Biw co'ectors cawin' my mobiw phone aw day." Or kind of a
> mingled *wl* sound.  Sometimes affects *r*, too. Couldn't tell you =
what
> British (*Brwitish*?) region[s] that's from, though. I talked
> Buckinghamshire as a kid, and recognise some well-defined English =
accents,
> like Hull and North Yorkshire, but there are so many.
>=20
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019, 9:11 PM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> =
wrote:
>=20
>> Maybe it=E2=80=99s the law of conservation of /l/s.  I=E2=80=99ve =
noticed that British
>> speakers, at least the ones who narrate my audiobooks, avoid =
pronouncing
>> the (first) /l/ in =E2=80=9Cvulnerable=E2=80=9D.  I agree with the =
suggestion in your last
>> sentence=E2=80=94=E2=80=9Ccalving=E2=80=9D is probably opaque when =
applied to glaciers, especially
>> for those who didn=E2=80=99t grow up on a farm or ranch.
>>=20
>> LH
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>> On Sep 13, 2019, at 8:39 PM, Stanton McCandlish =
<smccandlish at GMAIL.COM>
>> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> There's at least one British accent in which the *l* in *calf* is
>>> pronounced (e.g., listen to the song "The Golden Calf" by Prefab =
Sprout,
>>> 1988), but I've never heard a North American say it as "callf".  =
Maybe