[Ads-l] double-tap

Mon Sep 16 13:23:32 UTC 2019

Great citations in "Soldier of Fortune', Bill.

In a previous message I mentioned that "double tap snap" is some kind
of competitive event that occurs at a shooting range. There were 24
matches from 1964 to 1973 in "The Sydney Morning Herald" in the
newspapers.com database.

The phrase "double tap snap" is still in use, but it is uncommon.
Below are three instances. The first citation suggests that  "double
tap snap" involves firing two shots rapidly.

Website: Gunboards
Thread title: Sportco/Omark
Comment author: Son
Comment timestamp on website: 08-20-2009 at 08:49 AM
(Accessed forums.gunboards.com on September 16, 2019)
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?89582-Sportco-Omark/page3

[Begin excerpt]
While learning how this globe-sight-magic-business works, I shot this
sub MOA four shot group at 100m using Winchester hunting rounds. Other
than one match at 400m since, I still haven't had a chance to try it
out properly. (the match involved a double tap snap, so my score
couldn't really be used as an indication of accuracy... Not easy to
get two away in six seconds when single loading)
[End excerpt]

Website: The Truth About Guns
Article title: Understanding Rifle Precision
Article author: Dan Zimmerman
Article date on website: December 5, 2014
Comment author: Southern Cross
Comment timestamp on website: December 5, 2014 at 15:39
Accessed thetruthaboutguns.com on September 16, 2019
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/understanding-rifle-precision/

[Begin excerpt]
Anyone can shoot fine off a bench in your own time.

Learning to shoot under stress is.something else. I shoot service
rifle in service matches. You learn to shoot when you’re not ready.
You have targets that turn on for 4, 8, 40, or 50 seconds, depending
on if the course is a single-snap, double-tap-snap, 8 round rapid, or
10 round rapid.

At 100 metres we stand, 200 we sit, and at 300+ we go prone. Every
week is a different distance and course.
[End excerpt]

Website: Military Rifle Clubs Association MRCA,
Article title: Members Handbook,
Section 1: Introduction
Date on website: No date specified
Organization description: The Military Rifle Clubs Association
(M.R.C.A.) is a group of three Rifle Clubs affiliated with the New
South Wales Rifle Association that have been shooting Service
Discipline since 1923.
(Accessed mrca.com.au on September 16, 2019)
http://www.mrca.com.au/members_handbook.htm

[Begin excerpt]
“Shooters on the mound, this is a ….round (rapid/single tap/double tap
snap) practice. Load  … rounds.”  Those shooters with a pre loaded
detachable magazine may insert the magazine into the rifle or those
with inbuilt magazines may load the required number or maximum it will
hold if that is less than the practice requires. The bolt remains up
and to the rear with rounds unchambered. During this period there may
be a trial exposure of the target in which time you may take aim but
not close the bolt.
[End excerpt]

Garson