[Ads-l] Name of this construction?

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Sep 20 17:13:03 UTC 2019

> On Sep 20, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> Arnold can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this would be an example
> of a "gapless relative" where the resumptive pronoun ("their") rescues an
> island violation. Arnold calls that "ResIsland" for short.
> http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005022.html
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 8:43 AM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Is there a technical term for this kind of malconstruction?
>> I first noticed it when I began teaching (late '70s), but it may go back to
>> when time began.  I've rarely seen it in print. (Online is another story.):
>> "Which authors do you absolutely refuse to read their books? "

somewhat fuller reference:

AZ, 10/14/07: More gapless relatives:


summary: non-standard English has (at least) three types of gapless relatives, two with (resumptive) pronouns instead of gaps (ResPrince, named for Ellen Prince; and ResIsland, so named because the pronoun averts an island constraint), and one with neither a gap nor a pronoun (NoPro)  


so i guess the technical term Jon wants is _resumptive pronoun_ (in a particular subtype of _gapless relative_ construction in non-standard English)


The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list