[Ads-l] Chegg

Nancy Friedman wordworking at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 30 21:18:08 UTC 2020

Chegg filed a trademark application with USPTO for "A Smarter Way to
Student" in January 2017. The trademark was registered in February 2018.
The filing does not include any disclaimers or exclusions for the word
"student."
https://trademark.trademarkia.com/a-smarter-way-to-student-87295240.html

Btw, here's the company's explanation of the CHEGG name. Quotation marks
around "word" [sic]:
The *name Chegg* is a portmanteau of the words chicken and egg, based on
the founders' experience after graduating from college. The 'word'
represents the founders' struggle post-college – they could not land a job
without experience, but could not get experience without a job.
Nancy Friedman
Chief Wordworker
www.wordworking.com
http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com