[Ads-l] Latinx

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Mon Aug 17 20:43:47 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:14 PM Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> "It seems to work fine for those who find the term useful, at least for the
> time being."
>
> You clearly think you have the right to tell an entire ethnic group what
> they should be called. That is as colonial as you can get!

I clearly don't think such a thing at all!

I do think that the people FROM both the ethnic group and involved in
conversations about gender-neutral language, who have chosen the term,
don't need me, an outsider, sneering at them.

Have we really adopted the little rhetorical trick that says that, if you
are "attacked" (really, get criticized) just turn it around and throw the
exact same reproach back at your "attacker"? Truly up is down and down is
up these days.

Chris

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu