[Ads-l] Definition OTY

Wed Aug 19 17:11:10 UTC 2020

Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> I read it as saying a man can be wrong about the facts, not the facts
> themselves.

Good point, Dan. The longer version of Bernard Baruch's quotation
supports your interpretation:

[Begin quotation]
Every man has the right to an opinion but no man has a right to be
wrong in his facts. Nor, above all, to persist in errors as to facts.
[End quotation]

Here is the 1975 remark from James R. Schlesinger. How would you interpret it?

[Begin quotation]
“Everybody is entitled to his own views,” Schlesinger said. “Everybody
is not entitled to his own facts.”
[End quotation]

Garson