[Ads-l] Definition OTY

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 18 18:28:05 UTC 2020

I know we’ve had threads on this in the past (e.g. “I deny the fact that…”), and I suspect you’re right in that this non-committal use of “fact” is increasing.  In some contexts “claim” can be used as a non-presuppositional alternative to “fact”, but of course not all propositions correspond to overt claims.  And as you say, “proposition” is rather non-colloquial.  Of course, if there can be alternative facts, there’s no reason not to accelerate the trend.  As Daniel Patrick Moynihan didn’t quite say,
“You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts. I am, though.”

LH