[Ads-l] "disappear" as a transitive verb

Fri Aug 28 03:06:45 UTC 2020

Ben Zimmer mentioned in the thread from 2013 that the OED has
transitive "disappear" from 1897. Here is an instance in 1895.

Year: 1895
Series: Sessional Papers No 11B
Title: Report of An Investigation Into the Pilotage System at St. John, N.B.
Author: Captain W. H. Smith (Chairman of the Board of Examiners of
Masters and Mates
Section: To Mr. Schofield
Quote Page 169
Printed by S. E. Dawson, Ottawa, Canada

https://books.google.com/books?id=LJk5AQAAMAAJ&q=%22disappear+them%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Q. If there are more pilots than the business requires, then the
surplus would disappear?--A. How do you disappear them? I cannot
answer questions for the future, and I do not know what the conditions
are at other ports, or what the volume of business they do, compared
with ours.
[End excerpt]

Garson