[Ads-l] Modern Times

Thu Dec 17 04:24:32 UTC 2020

I was working at a local historical site, with a young guy, a history major
at the local college.  He was bright, and really interested in history,
planning on graduate school &c.  He was looking at some documents from only
100 years ago, or thereabouts.  He pushed them to me, saying he couldn't
read cursive.
Have we really reached the point that children will have to be taught
paleography, in order for them to read their birthday cards from Grampa?

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851