[Ads-l] Racist origins of "Grandfathering"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 19 00:37:01 UTC 2020

> On Dec 18, 2020, at 6:00 PM, MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) <0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote:
>

> ----
>
>> On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 12:09 PM Bill Mullins <amcombill at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> https://greensboro.com/news/education/wake-schools-will-stop-using-the-term-grandfathering-because-it-has-
>>> racist-origins/article_478ba8fc-3664-11eb-9a49-3706dfbe2e2b.html
>>>
>>> News to me.
>>>

>> That's just because of your white privilege.
>
> Guess again.  I identify as Melungeon.

From a web site:

"What are common Melungeon last names?"
"Some of the most prominent surnames that have been claimed as potentially associated with a Melungeon identity include Bowling (Bolin), Bunch, Chavis (Chavez), Collins, Epps, Evans, Fields, Francisco, Gibson, Gill, Goins, Goodman, Minor, Mise, Moore, Mullins, Osborn(e), Phipps, Reeves (Rives, Rieves, Reeves, Reaves), …”

Who knew?  (Well, obviously someone did!)

And see the caption for this photo:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon#/media/File:Mahala-mullins-cabin-porch-tn1.jpg
Any relation?

LH