[Ads-l] "Gizmo" 1938

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 19 22:06:42 UTC 2020

Finally an etymology that makes some sense (from Reddit):

Maltese *x'jismu*  'what's his name?'

As Stephen's 1938 ex. shows (and HDAS confirms) the word in early
(recorded) naval use also referred to an unknown or odd person.

Valetta, Malta, seems to have been a frequent port of call for U.S. naval
as well as merchant ships since the 19th century - though there's no reason
to believe the English word is that old.

JL