[Ads-l] "War is months of boredom..."

Sun Dec 27 09:35:07 UTC 2020

Intriguing topic and excellent find, JL. Here is an instance in a
London newspaper in 1909.

Date: September 28, 1909
Newspaper: The Westminster Gazette
Newspaper Location: London, England
Article: The Army Manoeuvres
Author: Civis
Quote Page 1, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt]
Army manoeuvres on a large scale are not primarily intended for the
instruction of regimental officers and men, nor, in point of fact, do
they teach them anything but the virtue of patience. Just as war
itself has not inaptly been described by an old campaigner as
consisting of weeks of intolerable boredom, punctuated by moments of
agonising fear, so Grand Manoeuvres are, so far as the rank-and-file
are concerned, made up of periods of laborious marches and intense
discomfort, varied by impossible tactical situations.
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole