[Ads-l] "War is months of boredom..."

Sun Dec 27 10:24:43 UTC 2020

Hello again. A slightly earlier variant in June 1909 written by the
same pseudonymous author, Civis, in the same newspaper.  Civis
disclaimed authorship.

Date: June 28, 1909
Newspaper: The Westminster Gazette
Newspaper Location: London, England
Article: The Officer Question
Author: Civis
Quote Page 3, Column 2
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt]
War itself has been described as "months of intolerable boredom
interspersed with moments of agonising fear." It is for the moments
only that the soldier has to live, and his constant apprehension is
always lest the long periods of peace may not involve so vast an
effort of the imagination that when the supreme moment comes he may
find himself as unable to recognise it for what it is as the man born
blind who suddenly recovers his sight.
[End excerpt]

Apologies for these repetitive posts. I blame Civis for continuous rephrasing.
Garson O'Toole