[Ads-l] Request April 1921 issue of The Smart Set containing important story by W. Somerset Maugham

dave at WILTON.NET dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Feb 9 18:44:09 UTC 2020

Yes, it's continued in a second file with no metadata, which is why I missed it. The target quote is there on the first page.

http://wordorigins.org/documents/Maugham2.pdf

The database, in case you need it, is Proquest's American Periodicals from the Center for Research Libraries.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf Of ADSGarson O'Toole
Sent: Sunday, February 9, 2020 12:38 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Request April 1921 issue of The Smart Set containing important story by W. Somerset Maugham

Fantastic! Thank you very much for your efforts, David.

I examined the PDF and found that it ended in chapter seven of the W.
Somerset Maugham's story with the sentence: "Her presence is a peril here." Yet, the full story continues beyond chapter seven. Below is the target quotation. It occurs about eight paragraphs after the end of the PDF.

[Begin excerpt]
“I have no doubt you have a sufficiently good opinion of yourself to bear mine with equanimity,” he retorted.
[End excerpt]

Would you please check to see if the database has a PDF with the above text?

Garson