[Ads-l] 2019 Word of the Year is "(my) pronouns, " Word of the Decade is singular "they"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 4 05:24:43 UTC 2020

https://www.americandialect.org/2019-word-of-the-year-is-my-pronouns-word-of-the-decade-is-singular-they

The American Dialect Society voted for "(my) pronouns" as its Word of the
Year (2019) and singular “they” as its Word of the Decade (2010-2019).
"(My) pronouns" was recognized for its use as an introduction for sharing
one's set of personal pronouns (as in "pronouns: she/her"), while singular
"they" was recognized for its growing use to refer to a known person whose
gender identity is nonbinary. Singular "they" was previously selected by
the ADS as the 2015 Word of the Year.

The full press release, including all winners, candidates, and vote tallies
for all candidates, is here:
https://www.americandialect.org/wp-content/uploads/2019-Word-of-the-Year-PRESS-RELEASE.pdf

--Ben Zimmer, Chair of the New Words Committee