[Ads-l] Has the Earliest Modern Usage of the Term "Science Fiction" Gotten Any Attention from Science Fiction Historians?

Jeff Prucher 000000b93183dc86-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Thu Jul 16 04:35:04 UTC 2020

I haven't seen reference to the 1897 citation anywhere, but I don't really move in SF scholarly circles. I think OED's breakdown is correct; this is the modern sense, but in the still fairly unusual sense of "work of science fiction".

But the notion that the term "science fiction" went from "work of dubious science" to "work of speculative fiction" to a specific genre is intriguing. "Scientific romance" went through a similar transition a little bit earlier. The OED has citations for "scientific romance" as scientific speculation back to 1797 (although not necessarily used with opprobrium); the first citation I found for it as "work of SF" is from 1859 with reference to Balzac's Ursule Mirouet.

The list of things people called what we could call science fiction or speculative fiction from the 1850s to the 1920s is fairly long.