[Ads-l] ~wool and ~chool

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 19 19:18:34 UTC 2020

Thanks to Mr. Mandel for bringing up the truespel website into.  I've been working on truespel since 1986 now and  hope to continue with it in my old age encumbered  with a bit of macular degeneration.
Two big things.   I do know that children need a simple phonetics for reading help now that teachers realize that "phonemic awareness" is important.  I also learned that TESOL teachers have difficulting teaching English pronunciation, and I think that truespel will work here.  Simpler is better.  http://justpaste.it/k-3andell

If anyone would like to work with truespel, let me know.  Stella wrote me and said “I mainly use truespel for accent reduction. I'd convert an article to truespel and read it out loud, while recording myself. It really has helped - my improvement is noticeable. Truespel has improved my spoken English drastically. Thank you for that."  She is self taught out out of the website.

Tom Zurinskas,  Originally from SW Conn 20 yrs,  college NE Tenn 3,  work SE NJ  33,  resides SE Florida 18...  truespel.com

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Mark Mandel <markamandel at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 8:16 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: ~wool and ~chool

If you would like a word of advice, I would suggest not trying to argue
with Mr. Zurinskas. His email address is a clue to his opinions. Truespel
is the name of his “pronunciation guide spelling system". This is from his
homepage, https://www.truespel.com/:

Truespel Phonetics is the World’s first “pronunciation guide spelling
system” based on U.S. English, the world’s most important language.
Phonetics isn’t difficult anymore.

Truespel is designed for the first time to integrate literacy tools, such
as dictionary pronunciation guides, translation guides, initial reading
guides, and phonetic analysis tools by using one, simple, easy-to-use
phonetic spelling. The sounds for the truespel phonetic model are the
voiced pronunciations in “talking” American English dictionaries, like
m-w.com.

With truespel, hearing the spoken word allows one to spell it phonetically
merely by using the 40 phonemes of US English with stress and apostrophe
rules. It is truly the simplest and only such phonetic spelling system
there is today that is pronunciation guide quality.
Mark A. Mandel